From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for a generic solution to non-USE-conditional circular deps
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:09:53
1 On 02:36, Sun, 12/04/2015 Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
4 > > build - !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used for
5 > > creating build images and the first half of bootstrapping [make
6 > > stage1]
7 > >
8 > > bootstrap - !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used
9 > > during original system bootstrapping [make stage2]
10 > >
11 > > However, since both are marked for 'internal use only', I don't think
12 > > it's a good idea to use them here. So I guess we need a new flag. Does
13 > > anyone have suggestions how to name it?
14 >
15 > Incidentally, if those were all migrated to USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN, the dire
16 > warnings wouldn't need to be so visible...
17
18 Now if only anyone would remember what these were intended for?
19
20 Maybe we're just trying to re-invent the wheel...
24 And it would be nice if the solution we use doesn't end up being like the
25 very warty USE=test flag.
26
27 We can make it a first class mechanism without having to tell users "don't
28 use this", so why not.
29
30 Of course, doing it right may require going through EAPI changes…