From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Linux 2.6.21 plans
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:17:13
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Daniel Drake kirjoitti:
3 >> Petteri Räty wrote:
4 >>> Why would the kernel have to go stable before the usual month dictated
5 >>> by policy? Yes there are usually security bugs but you did not mention
6 >>> that as a reason in your post.
7 >> At last check this was a recommendation, not a policy, plus nobody
8 >> objected timeframe-wise before.
9 >
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0040.html
11 >
12 > "The package has spent a reasonable amount of time in ~arch first.
13 > Thirty days is the usual figure, although this is clearly only a
14 > guideline. For critical packages, a much longer duration is expected.
15 > For small packages which have only minor changes between versions, a
16 > shorter period is sometimes appropriate."
17 >
18 > I would consider the kernel a critical package. Sure I could have worded
19 > my original mail a little better.
20 >
21 'is expected'.
22
23 Portage is also a critical package and I doubt it's ever spent 30 days
24 in ~arch. As always, maintainer knows best (and you can obviously blame
25 dsd if all hell breaks loose :))
26
27 -Alec
28 --