From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Linux 2.6.21 plans
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:10:29
1 Daniel Drake kirjoitti:
2 > Petteri Räty wrote:
3 >> Why would the kernel have to go stable before the usual month dictated
4 >> by policy? Yes there are usually security bugs but you did not mention
5 >> that as a reason in your post.
6 >
7 > At last check this was a recommendation, not a policy, plus nobody
8 > objected timeframe-wise before.
9
10 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0040.html
11
12 "The package has spent a reasonable amount of time in ~arch first.
13 Thirty days is the usual figure, although this is clearly only a
14 guideline. For critical packages, a much longer duration is expected.
15 For small packages which have only minor changes between versions, a
16 shorter period is sometimes appropriate."
17
18 I would consider the kernel a critical package. Sure I could have worded
19 my original mail a little better.
20
21 Regards,
22 Petteri