From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 news item for review: Radiant upgrade
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 15:52:16
1 On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 16:33 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 06 May 2007 08:45:36 +0200
3 > Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o> wrote:
4 > > I guess this is what the Display-If-Upgrading-From-To: that Ciaran
5 > > mentioned would do, but I'm wondering if GLEP 42 makes any sense
6 > > without it.
7 >
8 > Nope. Display-If-Upgrading-From-To: wouldn't trigger until the upgrade
9 > actually happened.
10
11 Since this header is not documented anywhere yet let me ask the
12 following questions about it:
13
14 Will the news item be shown before or after the package gets merged?
15 If before, will the user have to acknowledge the news item (i.e. will
16 the merge process block until the user has been able to read the item?)
17
18 > You want Display-If-Installed:, because users that
19 > have earlier versions will be affected at some point in the future.
20
21 I'm afraid that this is not correct, because the semantics of
22 Display-If-Installed don't match the use case I described. Specifically,
23 it will cause the news item to be shown way to early for users on a
24 stable profile.
25
26 Kind regards,
27