From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 news item for review: Radiant upgrade
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 15:55:57
1 On Sun, 06 May 2007 17:49:24 +0200
2 Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Nope. Display-If-Upgrading-From-To: wouldn't trigger until the
4 > > upgrade actually happened.
5 >
6 > Since this header is not documented anywhere yet let me ask the
7 > following questions about it:
8 >
9 > Will the news item be shown before or after the package gets merged?
10
11 After. For before, use Display-If-Installed: on a lower version.
12
13 > > You want Display-If-Installed:, because users that
14 > > have earlier versions will be affected at some point in the future.
15 >
16 > I'm afraid that this is not correct, because the semantics of
17 > Display-If-Installed don't match the use case I described.
18 > Specifically, it will cause the news item to be shown way to early
19 > for users on a stable profile.
20
21 Thus giving them lots of notice, which is one of the things the GLEP
22 was designed to do.
25 Ciaran McCreesh