From: expose@×××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 news item for review: Radiant upgrade
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 16:23:29
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > After. For before, use Display-If-Installed: on a lower version.
3 See below.
4
5 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 > > > You want Display-If-Installed:, because users that
7 > > > have earlier versions will be affected at some point in the future.
8 > >
9 > > I'm afraid that this is not correct, because the semantics of
10 > > Display-If-Installed don't match the use case I described.
11 > > Specifically, it will cause the news item to be shown way to early
12 > > for users on a stable profile.
13 >
14 > Thus giving them lots of notice, which is one of the things the GLEP
15 > was designed to do.
16 If either the news item is shown once, it is bad because the user might forget
17 about if until that package actually hits the stable branch.
18 If the news item is shown more than once - where I currently see no evidence
19 for except one possible way "giving them lots of notice" could be
20 interpreted, although this is in contrast to the GLEP as I understand it, it
21 is bad because people will sooner or later be annoyed by this kind of
22 behaviour when reading "ABI will break" for a zillion of times...
23
24 The only solution I currently see is an additional field in the header, a
25 change in behaviour and therefore the GLEP itself.
26 In particular, this field could be my previous understanding
27 of "Display-If-Upgrading-From-To" namely "Display-Before-Upgrading-From-To"
28 which would fit the requirements defined by the GLEP:
29
30 "Preemptive
31 Users should be told of changes before they break a system, not after the
32 damage has already been done. Ideally, the system administrator would be
33 given ample warning to plan difficult upgrades and changes, rather than only
34 being told just before action is necessary."
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list