From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:53:12
1 Dnia 25 lipca 2017 13:25:38 CEST, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >On 07/25/2017 04:05 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Here's the current draft:
5 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
8 >It's mostly fine, but there are two changes I disagree with:
9 >
10 >> When doing one or more changes that require a revision bump, bump the
11 >> revision in the commit including the first change. Split the changes
12 >> into multiple logical commits without further revision bumps — since
13 >> they are going to be pushed in a single push, the user will not be
14 >> exposed to interim state.
15 >
16 >We shouldn't play games in the repo and hope that everything works out
17 >if we wait to push until just the right time. We're not going to run
18 >out
19 >of numbers -- it's simpler and more correct to do a new revision with
20 >each commit.
21
22 I have no clue what you mean. I'm just saying that if you push 10 changes in 10 commits, you don't have to go straight to -r10 in a single push.
26 >> Gentoo developers are still frequently using Gentoo-Bug tag,
27 >> sometimes followed by Gentoo-Bug-URL. Using both simultaneously is
28 >> meaningless (they are redundant), and using the former has no
29 >> advantages over using the classic #nnnnnn form in the summary or the
30 >> body.
31 >
32 >There are two main advantages over having the bug number in the
33 >summary.
34 >Space is at a premium in the summary, as Tobias pointed out, and the
35 >
36 > Gentoo-Bug: whatever
37 >
38 >format is trivially machine-readable, whereas sticking it somewhere
39 >else
40 >is less so.
41
42 Except that there is no machines using it. In all contexts, using full URL for machine readability is better as it works with all software out of the box.
45 >And just a reminder -- Gokturk worked to get a lot of this stuff into
46 >the devmanual, e.g.
47 >
48 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-maintenance/index.html
49 >
50 >Some of that is important, like the warning not to use "bug #x" in the
51 >body of the commit message.
55 Best regards,
56 Michał Górny (by phone)