From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:59:19
1 Torsten Veller <tove@g.o> posted
2 20070715132018.TA94041.tv@××××××.net, excerpted below, on Sun, 15 Jul
3 2007 13:40:29 +0200:
4
5 > * Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o>:
6 >> Torsten Veller schrieb:
7 >> > Let me please point out that no infrastructure team member is on the
8 >> > list right now.
9 >> >
10 >> > As infra is often involved in implementing council decisions we
11 >> > should take care that the information flows. IMHO the easiest way to
12 >> > achieve this is electing an infra member to the council.
13 >>
14 >> In the contrary. We should see that not too much power/responsibility
15 >> is concentrated on a single person.
16 >>
17 >> Since...
18 >> a) This guarantees that the council comes to a decision which is not
19 >> influenced by the (direct and already known) interest of it's members
20 >> and
21 >> b) Reduces the risk for Gentoo when someone with more than one key
22 >> position leaves
23 >
24 > If devs in a key position leave, it's often a problem. But I don't see a
25 > concentration problem here.
26
27 The problem in practice is this: As Chris G. I believe it was pointed
28 out, being a Council member is "hella" stressful. (From memory so the
29 numbers are fuzzy, ask Chris.) Of the this term's seven elected council
30 members, two ended up retiring from Gentoo entirely, while others almost
31 did and/or resigned from their council position. Few of the remaining
32 ones are interested in ever running for the position again.
33
34 So serious as a heart attack, there is a real problem. Unfortunately, as
35 currently structured, the stress on council is great enough that people
36 /do/ leave in the middle of their term, so it's best to consider that a
37 real likelihood when thinking about nominations and votes for council.
38
39 I respect Chris G a lot, but it's very obvious the stress has affected
40 how he deals with Gentoo as well, and he's stated no way is he interested
41 in the position again. I think everybody nominated even more than those
42 voting would do well to pay serious attention to what he says on the
43 subject, because how they handle their duties as council members has a
44 very real likelihood of permanently affecting their relationship with
45 Gentoo.
46
47 I know if I were a dev and nominated, I'd be seriously contemplating
48 whether it were worth doing, in the light of how dramatically it
49 negatively affected the Gentoo life of last years elected council.
50 There's no escaping the reality, however one might wish to pretend it
51 won't affect them. I'd be asking myself if the council position was
52 worth possibly getting so burnt out and fed up with Gentoo that I quit.
53 Some might believe in what they want to do enough to find it worth it,
54 while others believe in their ability to handle the situation
55 regardless. More power to them.
56
57 I do hope that those that accept the nomination and are ultimately
58 elected are ready for it, because it really hurts to lose good people,
59 and by definition, anyone well respected enough to win an elected seat on
60 the council is a "good" person in terms of their contribution to Gentoo,
61 or they'd not be winning that seat. Losing anyone that well respected by
62 their peers is GOING to hurt, so I really do hope the folks that are
63 running are prepared for what they are getting themselves into, and we
64 /don't/ lose anyone due to council duties this coming year.
69 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list