From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keeping net-fs/ncpfs and net-misc/ipx-utils around?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:07:13
1 On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 15:19:06 -0400 Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > Throwing a question out there on whether to keep both the net-fs/ncpfs and
3 > net-misc/ipx-utils packages around any longer. Kernel upstream removed both
4 > the IPX (Internetwork Packet eXchange) protocol and NCPFS (NetWare Core
5 > Protocol Filesystem) support back in ~4.18 due to lack of maintenance. I
6 > know the code in both generally worked fine back then, as I have a few
7 > NetWare VMs that I was able to mount filesystems from in Linux, even on my
8 > MIPS hardware.
9 >
10 > However, it is effectively a dead protocol and dead filesystem for a dead
11 > operating system (NetWare). I don't see anyone resurrecting IPX/NCPFS and
12 > updating to get it re-included it in the kernel, either. I was tempted once
13 > to try, but I just don't have the time anymore.
14 >
15 > I think we're one of the last distros to even keep IPX/NCPFS-related
16 > packages around long-term. With no viable upstream for ncpfs anymore, and
17 > with no kernel support in Linux (or even FreeBSD; they deprecated IPX in
18 > ~10.0-RELEASE), I think it's time to remove this package and any related
19 > packages.
20 >
21 > One catch is, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources still keeps 4.4, 4.9, and 4.14
22 > stable kernel series around. These can still technically use IPX/NCPFS, and
23 > therefore, there might be users using it.
24 >
25 > A quick poll of the portage tree suggests these changes are needed:
26 >
27 > Delete USE flag reference:
28 > net-analyzer/hydra
29 > profiles/use.local.desc (remove hydra's local 'ncp' entry)
30 >
31 > Remove ebuilds:
32 > net-fs/ncpfs
33 > net-misc/ipx-utils
34 >
35 > Remove filesystem reference?:
36 > sys-apps/mlocate/files/updatedb.conf
37 >
38 > Remove reference to 'ipx-utils':
39 > profiles/license_groups
42 > Thoughts?
43
44 Keep them around as long as we have kernel versions supporting
45 IPX/NCPFS in the tree. When they will pass, perform the cleanup
46 listed above.
49 Best regards,
50 Andrew Savchenko