From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Public Relations, was: Re: [gentoo-core] proposal: make gentoo-core publicly read-only
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:42:17
1 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>, on Sun Jun 29, 2003 [03:12:45 PM] said:
2 Content-Description: signed data
3 > On Sunday 29 June 2003 00:40, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 20:35, Cyrik wrote:
5 > > > > I am guessing you consult your children in all decisions you make
6 > > > > regarding them (if you have any)? Or if you are a manager, do you
7 > > > > consult with your workers in decisions you make ?
8 > > >
9 > > > nope but i tell them why i decided like i did and they know of every
10 > > > decision...
11 > >
12 > > Yes, but the point is, they are not present when you talk to
13 > > your partner about what to do, and you surely do not tape it
14 > > so that they can play it back later.
15 >
16 > And you certainly don't involve them into the actual decision on what to buy
17 > them for their Birthday.
18 >
19 > Paul
22 Hi;
23
24 Hmm. I find this paternalism vaguely insulting, and I
25 dont even feel strongly one way or another about the -core
26 list.
27 Ever since Ive been reading this list, Ive seen this as a
28 perenial point of contention. I think that this is a touchy issue
29 because some people _do_ feel there is lack of transparancy, and
30 a wall between developers and users. I know this feeling because
31 I have been conditioned to not submit ebuilds anymore, after
32 having submitted them regularly for some time; (I touch upon this
33 in bug 6808) I still hope to continue contributing bugs,
34 preferably with patches. (although I often have better luck just
35 pushing them upstream.) This is ok for me, since writing ebuilds
36 is trivial, and I have my local stuff. But it might not be good
37 for others. (or perhaps it is;)
38 Instead of tortured analogies, just say it the way it
39 is; "we want core closed, and if you dont like it, you are free
40 to choose another distribution, or fork..."
41 Gentoo is a great thing, and this is reflected in its
42 phenomenal growth. I hope that it is able to regroup from its
43 difficulties. I see, however, a disconcerting tendancy to sweep
44 away discontent with rhetoric, and the promise of future
45 bounty...
46 There is a certain amount of FUD associated with Gentoos
47 recent fork, and issues regarding its incorporation, and internal
48 organisation. (Ive seen it on my local LUG list-- people saying
49 'Ive heard this and that and this; maybe youd better think twice
50 before commiting to Gentoo...') That is to say, these feelings
51 and doubts are very real, and I hope that even though core
52 members find them baseless, that they find a way to communicate
53 that without seeming so condescending.
54
55 Paul
56 set@×××××.com
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list