From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: Paul <set@×××××.com>
Cc: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Public Relations, was: Re: [gentoo-core] proposal: make gentoo-core publicly read-only
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:35:18
1 Paul wrote:
2
3 > Ever since Ive been reading this list, Ive seen this as a
4 > perenial point of contention. I think that this is a touchy issue
5 > because some people _do_ feel there is lack of transparancy, and
6 > a wall between developers and users. I know this feeling because
7 > I have been conditioned to not submit ebuilds anymore, after
8 > having submitted them regularly for some time; (I touch upon this
9 > in bug 6808)
10
11 Reading over that bug, I find myself rather dissapointed. The system
12 seems to have failed you, and that sucks. I also disagree with many of
13 the sentiments expressed in the comments and feel that an application
14 such as that could/would be used by a nontrivial number of people;
15 certainly enough to warrant inclusion in the tree.
16
17 When I have time, I peruse the new bugs and try to work on as many bugs
18 and ebuild updates/submissions as I possibly can, and I know there are
19 other developers out there who do the same. I hope you'll have better
20 experience in the future, especially if you're as experienced at writing
21 ebuilds as you appear to be. We don't need to turn away quality
22 contributions.
23
24 > Instead of tortured analogies, just say it the way it
25 > is; "we want core closed, and if you dont like it, you are free
26 > to choose another distribution, or fork..."
27
28 I greatly dislike arguing by analogy. Arguing by analogy is like ... ;)
29
30 But basically, yes, -core is a list that has many reasons to remain
31 closed. As I said in a previous message; if -core is opened up and
32 developers really want to talk in private they'll find another venue to
33 do so. (I'm sure I could get Majordomo whipped into shape inside of an
34 afternoon.)
35
36 I'm not saying this is a justified course of action, but merely that it
37 is a fact of human nature. The Internet happens to be great for enabling
38 people to discuss openly and/or privately.
39
40 Remember, too, that we've got people like Josh Brindle, head of Gentoo
41 Hardened. Consulting on encrypting the contents of this uber-secret
42 meeting place would be a snap. ;>
43
44 As for finding another distribution, well, I'm afraid you'll find
45 yourself much in the same boat there. Gentoo operates almost entirely
46 via electronic communication. The likes of SuSE, RedHat et al. have
47 physical space in which to hold meetings of the board and the core
48 developers. I'd be willing to bet a week's worth of socks that they
49 don't transcribe those meetings and make them available to their
50 userbase. Because of the nature of those distributions, I'm sure it's
51 also never really occurred to the users to ask either.
52
53 As to whether or not you (in the general sense) really want to read
54 -core, well, that's up in the air but I doubt it. Most people who do
55 likely wouldn't do so for very long. Frankly, it's not THAT interesting,
56 and certainly not earth shattering. Anything important or developmental
57 in nature is forwarded/CC'ed to -dev anyways.
58
59 > There is a certain amount of FUD associated with Gentoos
60 > recent fork, and issues regarding its incorporation, and internal
61 > organisation. (Ive seen it on my local LUG list-- people saying
62 > 'Ive heard this and that and this; maybe youd better think twice
63 > before commiting to Gentoo...') That is to say, these feelings
64 > and doubts are very real, and I hope that even though core
65 > members find them baseless, that they find a way to communicate
66 > that without seeming so condescending.
67
68 I've known a lot of developers in a lot of open source projects who've
69 become very condescending of their userbase. One developer went so far
70 as to say; "${PROJECT} developers shouldn't waste their time hunting
71 down bugs, we're too busy developing new features."
72
73 Except that it's quite a major project, I'd have left over an unchecked
74 comment like that.
75
76 Sometimes developers forget that they're users too, and at one point
77 they were users who didn't have cvs commit access. I think a lot of them
78 forget just how powerless you can feel at times. Hopefully if more
79 people come forward and explain their feelings as eloquently as you
80 have, more developers will stop and think about what they're saying
81 before they hit 'send'. Of course, hopefully Gentoo developers will grow
82 to be better than that in the first place. We can hope. :>
83
84 Stick with it. Gentoo is a great distribution, and so long as the future
85 is planned for and the right changes are made, it'll become even better
86 in times to come, but we can't do it if we alienate our userbase.
89 Stewart Honsberger
90 Gentoo Developer
91 http://www.snerk.org/
95 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list