From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Public Relations, was: Re: [gentoo-core] proposal: make gentoo-core publicly read-only
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:18:52
1 On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 12:35, Stewart Honsberger wrote:
2 > Reading over that bug, I find myself rather dissapointed. The system
3 > seems to have failed you, and that sucks. I also disagree with many of
4 > the sentiments expressed in the comments and feel that an application
5 > such as that could/would be used by a nontrivial number of people;
6 > certainly enough to warrant inclusion in the tree.
7
8 Considering the scope and the amount of pacakges that gnome@g.o
9 currently oversees (200+), we (gnome@g.o) have to prioritise which
10 packages are added. Now, if a developer has interest in that particular
11 package and is willing to maintain it, then by all means it is up to
12 that developer :)
13
14 Thinking more about it, there probably should be some sort of bug fixing
15 day or new ebuild fixing day once a month or something where a list of
16 all the outstanding ebuilds are listed and then devs who are interested
17 in them should assign themselves to them and/or comment on what needs to
18 be improved. But without a real proposal or implementation, this would
19 just be something that I just mindlessly blurted out off the top of my
20 head.
21
22 > ebuilds as you appear to be. We don't need to turn away quality
23 > contributions.
24
25 Definitely.
26
27 > via electronic communication. The likes of SuSE, RedHat et al. have
28 > physical space in which to hold meetings of the board and the core
29
30 While I don't agree that we should use other distros as argument points
31 for not opening up -core, I'd just like to bring up that debian also has
32 private lists for developers only.
33
34 Cheers,
35 --
36 Alastair 'liquidx' Tse
37 >> Gentoo Developer
38 >> http://www.liquidx.net/ | http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/
39 >> GPG Key : http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/liquidx_gentoo_org.asc
40 >> FingerPrint : 579A 9B0E 43E8 0E40 EE93 BB1C 38CE 1C7B 3907 14F6