From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 10:29:54
1 On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/12/2017 03:03 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Please provide some examples of recent in-place USE changes that benefit
5 >> from revbumps.
8 > There is no single example. Things only get simpler if *all* USE changes
9 > come with a new revision.
12 My gut feeling is that the change you want is probably a good thing,
13 but it will never happen if you can't provide a single example of
14 something bad happening due to the lack of a revbump. The easy
15 counter-argument to your suggestion is "if it ain't broke, don't fix
16 it."
17
18 As others have pointed out, the portage flags are useful even if we
19 make this change, so they're not going away. Also, I don't see any
20 portage maintainers saying that they want this change, or that they'll
21 remove any code if this change is made.
22
23 The only potential benefit I see is QA. However, I've been running
24 with --changed-use for eons (and was running with --newuse before
25 that) so I couldn't tell you what happens in practice when you don't
26 use those settings.
27
28 This policy change would make my life easier, because for big packages
29 it would encourage maintainers to not make IUSE changes until they do
30 revbumps, which would save me a build. I'm running on relatively old
31 hardware at this point so these rebuilds actually do cost me quite a
32 bit of time. I'm not sure that not using --changed-use is a great
33 option though as it will make it that much harder to keep things
34 consistent when I do modify my package.use/make.conf.
37 Rich