From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:36:06
1 On 09/10/2015 03:10 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So we are breaking consistency and introduce maintenance and
5 >> configuration complexity, because we want to support a corner case that
6 >> isn't consistently supported anyway and will not be (because that's what
7 >> the gnome team said and most upstream maintainers do).
8 >>
9 >> You'd actually have to start forking upstream projects if you are
10 >> serious about this.
11 >
12 > Again, I'm saying that maintainers should be free to support multiple
13 > versions if they wish to do so. They should not be required to do so.
14 > And yes, I do realize that this limits options for users, but they're
15 > welcome to proxy-maintain packages that do support the versions they
16 > wish to use. If they want to fork upstream they're even welcome to do
17 > that, but obviously that isn't going to happen often.
18 >
19 > I just don't think we should be in the business of saying "no" here.
20
21 Again, your proposed use case is
22 1) imaginary
23 2) currently impossible to support, because there are lots of
24 applications which either force gtk3 in the ebuild or have only gtk3
25 supported upstream. It will be pretty much impossible to not have gtk3
26 installed or loaded into RAM, unless you don't use a DE in the first
27 place and stick to terminals.
31 >> I think a lot of people just go wild when they see configure switches
32 >> and stuff everything into USE flags without really considering the
33 >> impact or the usefulness.
34 >>
35 >> It's not all about choice, it's also about sanity.
38 > And again, I'm just saying to leave it up to the maintainer.
39
40 If this affects tree consistency and usability, then it is not just up
41 to the maintainers.