From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:41:35
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:35 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 09/10/2015 03:10 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> So we are breaking consistency and introduce maintenance and
7 > >> configuration complexity, because we want to support a corner case that
8 > >> isn't consistently supported anyway and will not be (because that's what
9 > >> the gnome team said and most upstream maintainers do).
10 > >>
11 > >> You'd actually have to start forking upstream projects if you are
12 > >> serious about this.
13 > >
14 > > Again, I'm saying that maintainers should be free to support multiple
15 > > versions if they wish to do so. They should not be required to do so.
16 > > And yes, I do realize that this limits options for users, but they're
17 > > welcome to proxy-maintain packages that do support the versions they
18 > > wish to use. If they want to fork upstream they're even welcome to do
19 > > that, but obviously that isn't going to happen often.
20 > >
21 > > I just don't think we should be in the business of saying "no" here.
22 >
23 > Again, your proposed use case is
24 > 1) imaginary
25 > 2) currently impossible to support, because there are lots of
26 > applications which either force gtk3 in the ebuild or have only gtk3
27 > supported upstream. It will be pretty much impossible to not have gtk3
28 > installed or loaded into RAM, unless you don't use a DE in the first
29 > place and stick to terminals.
32 > >>
33 > >> I think a lot of people just go wild when they see configure switches
34 > >> and stuff everything into USE flags without really considering the
35 > >> impact or the usefulness.
36 > >>
37 > >> It's not all about choice, it's also about sanity.
38 > >>
39 > >
40 > > And again, I'm just saying to leave it up to the maintainer.
41 >
42 > If this affects tree consistency and usability, then it is not just up
43 > to the maintainers.
46 There are lots of topics where I concede that QA has a point and can
47 utilize its influence; but 'consistency and usability' are not topics I
48 would normally expect them to impose on developers.
49
50 -A