From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:50:17
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:35 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
6 >> If this affects tree consistency and usability, then it is not just up
7 >> to the maintainers.
8 >
9 > There are lots of topics where I concede that QA has a point and can utilize
10 > its influence; but 'consistency and usability' are not topics I would
11 > normally expect them to impose on developers.
14 Well, consistency as far as it involves compliance with standards
15 (PMS, tree policies, etc) certainly is fair game. I don't think they
16 always need to be the ones creating the rules, though.
17
18 In any case, the whole versioned toolkit (gtk/qt/etc) flag issue is on
19 the council agenda. I think this is an area that would benefit from a
20 policy, whether or not I end up agreeing with whatever the policy ends
21 up being.
22
23 Even if we end up deciding to push to not use versioned flags, we may
24 still end up having them for one-offs, and we'll still need policy on
25 how to properly control whether the gui gets built or not, and so on.
26 If we at least have a standard practice things will be easier on
27 everybody, and this is bigger than any one Gentoo team. Of course
28 once a policy is established QA should by all means enforce it.
29
30 Also, I know that QA tends to get some knee-jerk reactions, but when
31 QA announces a policy it isn't like this is the end of the
32 conversation. If you think they're making a mistake, you can always
33 talk to the QA lead, and appeal to the council. For the most part I
34 think most of us try to be practical, even if we sometimes create a
35 mess before we realize what we're getting into.
38 Rich