From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kde er4ror with xsetroot
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 05:14:31
1 On Tue, 08 May 2001 05:26:27 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger) wrote:
2
3 > Collins Richey wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I installed kde with emerge kde-base ... which brought in kde-libs and other
6 > > stuff.
7 > >
8 > > When I try to run it, it complains that xsetroot and other x... complain that
9 > > display = '' and they die without starting the xserver (root or user
10 > > environment). Same restults with
11 > > startkde
12 > > or
13 > > echo kde >.wm
14 > > startx
15 >
16 > Hmm, that sounds like your xfree installation has problems. It is really
17 > strange that stuff works here and no other user reported such problems.
18 > Try ebuild xfree-4.0.3-r3 clean unmerge merge.
21 done - no change in behavior. Where does the $DISPLAY variable get set on a normal system (required by startkde)?
25 Collins Richey
26 temp setup on gentoo