From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 02:23:03
1 On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Now, since Walter didn't like the way things are going, can he write
3 > code and be left in peace to do so? Maybe have a little bit of support
4 > while he is doing it?
5
6 ++
7
8 I can't say I think that preferring mdev over an initramfs is a good
9 choice, but I can say that I prefer that people have the choice to
10 make in the first place. Nobody can expect anybody to maintain
11 something for them, but if some are willing to step up and give Gentoo
12 a bit of a broader perspective that is what we're all about. Where
13 else are you going to find a linux distro that can run a fair bit of
14 their repository on Interix of all things?
15
16 We all get grumpy from time to time, but I've learned that if you're
17 going to speak up it is best if you're doing so to offer something
18 better, and not just to gripe. My hat is always off to those who
19 write code, and the community around Gentoo that has allowed us to
20 choose whether to run it. Systemd, Dracut, Wayland, and more - bring
21 it on, and if my writing an odd init script/unit/whatever for a
22 package I maintain makes it possible to do something genuinely new
23 with Gentoo, then file all the bugs you want. :)
24
25 Rich