From: Anton Starikov <antst@×××××××.se>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ifc USE flag, fortran support and some general notes about multi-compiler support
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:12:45
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > This should be added to gcc-config, so it can support independent
3 > language compilers.
4 It is not compleet solution. Change everytime default compiler, if I
5 understand correctly...not sounds nice.
6
7 > Yep. Some alternative compilers have their own configuration files for
8 > compiler-specific flags, however. They should still draw the generic
9 > flags from make.conf, such as CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS or FFLAGS (fortran).
10 Did you read correctly? I whant to deal with two compilers at the same
11 time. And it is really not excellent idea to froce them to use the SAME
12 flags from make.conf. As example, -O3 is not really best for Intel
13 compilers sometime. But can be goof enough for GCC. Ok, you can set
14 IFCFLAGS on make.conf, but it is sollution for IFC ONLY.
15 Unfortunatelly, you have ONLY ONE set of flags for Fortran compiler
16 (FFLAGS) in make.conf. :)
17
18 > Nah, USE isn't the right place for it. Ebuilds should respect the
19 > environment variables selecting compilers, such as CC, CXX, FC and so
20 > forth. The USE flags should be for other things, e.g. patches that are
21 > required for a specific compiler to work.
22 Again. they will respect SOMETIMES. But what if I want to use TWO
23 compilers? Main and alternative at the same time? Should I change
24 variables it every time?
25 I'm just speaking about adding some fucntionality for GENERAL
26 alternative compiler. It can be used in some particular applications.
27 Not everywhere. And such applications or libraries will try to compile
28 with GENERAL alternative compiler. No patches for it. Just you own risk.
29 No changes in make.conf and environment variables each time when toy
30 merge such applications.
31 Simple example. I really like to have fresh version of LAM-MPI in my
32 developmnet machine. But I whant to build it with ICC and IFC. Nowdays
33 if I have IFC and ICC and flags - it give me nothing. If I'm going to
34 change my environmnet variables - I have to remove it from autoupdate
35 and merge it manually, each time. With stetting these variables
36 manually. Basically, it give ,me just nothing. it almost the same, like
37 check is there newer version, download tgz with sources, run configure
38 and install manually.
39 Ok, I probably whant to use alternative compiler (GENERAL ONE) not for
40 all ebuilds which support it. I can use /etc/portage/packages.use and
41 I'm happy. It is pretty general thing if you doing some csience and
42 dealing with fortran.
43
44 I really whant for me to have all near-scientific stuff to be compiled
45 with alternative compilers, but NOT THE REST.
46
47 Do you really see currently something implemented to have such things in
48 portage? I don't. So, I doing this almost manualy. I really can't leave
49 it for emerge -u world. Because or it will try to compile with ICC and
50 IFC, or with Lahey or with Absoft something that I don't whant to be
51 compiled in such way.
52 Or it just compile everything with GCC and G77, and at morning I will
53 find that my programs really don't want to be linked against MPI anymore :)
54
55 There is no currently support for GENERAL ALTERNATIVE COMPILER in
56 gentoo. Which can be really helpfull in some situations.
57
58 I'm speaking about such mechanism.
59 I want to emerge -u world and be happy without doing a lot of things
60 manually.
61 Or I want to bootstrap machine from scratch without siting near to it
62 and handling all those things manually. I just want to give some
63 configuration to portage that I want to have and go to do something else.
64
65 I really like gentoo. I use it for a two years. And OK, boostraping was
66 nice. Updating was nice. Latter I handled all thing with near-scientific
67 stuff manually on my home and office machines with different compilers.
68 But latter my collegs start to be interesting from me to migrate from
69 other distributions like Debian and mandrake to gentoo. And now they
70 also have to deal with all this stuff. You know...basically me now have
71 to deal with such stuff on their machines also, which is not greatest
72 pleasure and time-spending.
73
74 If I understand correctly, gentoo means freedom to have what you whant
75 :) And I guess there is some, minor of course, part of gentoo users,
76 which can be really happy with multi (or double) compiler support.
77 Again. There is no such functionality now in gentoo. It is really
78 something new. Even normal support for use of ICC and GCC at the SAME
79 TIME does not exist.
80
81 I can provide patches for some part of near-scientific ebuilds to
82 provide such functionality. Because I anyway doing and mainteining such
83 pathes now for me and my collegs. I really don't think that most of
84 ebuilds need it. But for some it could be helpfull. Later probably it
85 could be found that for a bigger number of ebuilds and users it is not
86 so bad also to support it and people will support such support to other
87 ebuilds.
88
89 At least I think there is something that could be discussed. Probably
90 idea will changed after discussion.
91 But if I maintain already some extra fuctionality for gentoo for some
92 people. I guess it is not so bad to maintain it for more, and I know
93 that other people, who use gentoo for the same tasks will like it also.
94
95 Anton.
98 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list