From: rendhalver@gentoo.org (Rendhalver [Peter Brown])
To: Gentoo Developer <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage database management
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 09:16:01
1 >>>>> "Ingo" == Ingo Krabbe <i.krabbe@×××××.net> writes:
2
3 Ingo> On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 06:37:43PM +1000, Rendhalver [Peter Brown] wrote:
4 >>
5 >> a while ago i thought about trying to generate an xml representation
6 >> of the portage "database"
7 >>
8 >> i thought it would be cool to have it as xml cause then we could use
9 >> it for various purposes it would include the entire portage tree and
10 >> the database with extra bits to say wether a package was installed and
11 >> when it was installed its only an idea right now but i dont think it
12 >> would be too tricky to do
13 >>
14 >> i would write it in perl but thats what i am good at
15 >> and perl has some nifty XML modules
16 >>
17 >> anyone else interested in this ??
18 >>
19 [snip]
20
21 Ingo> Would this give any speed up ? I don't know XML database features with
22 Ingo> perl. Of course you can store some constraint information with packages
23 Ingo> in XML but what I was thinking about went more in the direction of fast
24 Ingo> search trees and package hash tables, that the system administrator can
25 Ingo> search for portage packages and keywords.
26
27 ah ok so you want to put the actual portage tree into a database yes?
31 XEmacs Advocate | Do not try the patience of Wizards,
32 Gentoo Developer | for they are subtle and quick to anger.
33 Perl Hacker | - Elric (Technomage) , Babylon 5.
34 Apache God | <mailto:rendhalver at gentoo.org> <GnuPG KeyID: AE51D190>
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list