From: Ingo Krabbe <i.krabbe@×××××.net>
To: Gentoo Developer <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage database management
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 09:32:29
1 On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 07:16:44PM +1000, Rendhalver [Peter Brown] wrote:
2 > ah ok so you want to put the actual portage tree into a database yes?
3
4 nope, I think it would be much nicer to portage to create a mirror
5 image of the portage tree in a database, together with all textual
6 information available. I want to leave the portage as it is for
7 installing and updating packages but I want to be able to get events
8 from portage when new packages arrive (rsync), are installed (emerge)
9 or uninstalled (unmerge) or updated (emerge -u), so I can keep track of
10 it.
11
12 Of course it would be a solution to manage everything in a database, hmm
13 it is a tree you know, a big tree in recent times, so it should be a
14 database object. But the evolution of portage was filesystem oriented,
15 which is understandable for portability, stability and transparency. At
16 least the filesystem is a database too, a slow one though, but fast
17 enough for the installation purposes, measured against the compilation
18 and download times.
19
20 I often bothered about the problem of searching a package by keyword or
21 package name (emerge -s foo) and (emerge -S foo), when I just want to
22 get a quick overview about a topic or want to look up this new package I
23 just heard of in this newgroup yesterday.
24
25 This operation takes much too long for my taste and thats what I like to
26 keep in a database. I know there are textual database systems like
27 htref, but I don't understand their installation and configuration
28 syntax. Hmm, I'm a C Programmer you know, it is much easier to me to
29 put everything in a Berkeley DB put a job in the background and fire
30 some events or raise some signals.
31
32 BYE INGO
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list