From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@×××××.com>
To: Ingo Krabbe <i.krabbe@×××××.net>, Gentoo Developer <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage database management
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 15:41:30
1 On Saturday 01 February 2003 04:25 am, Ingo Krabbe wrote:
4 > This operation takes much too long for my taste and thats what I like to
5 > keep in a database. I know there are textual database systems like
6 > htref, but I don't understand their installation and configuration
7 > syntax. Hmm, I'm a C Programmer you know, it is much easier to me to
8 > put everything in a Berkeley DB put a job in the background and fire
9 > some events or raise some signals.
12 I agree, there needs to be a way to speed up those operations eventually...
13 if only to index the tree so that seeks/searches are performed faster.
14
15 Problem with berkeleydb (sleepycat) is... things that get coded around
16 berkeleydb often stay married to berkeleydb forever, for better or for
17 worse. I had some issues with berkeleydb in the past year with versioning;
18 more than once it broke things on minor upgrades along the same branch.
19 YMMV.
20
21 I think it's perhaps better to make this modular. Write db modules, one
22 for sleepycat, one for pgsql, one for mysql, et al. Leave the indexing
23 data store up to the admin. The data itself indexed in a B-tree.
24
25 XML is a nice output format for interfacing with other applications, but
26 that doesn't mean you should store your data in it.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@×××××.com]
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list