From: Ingo Krabbe <i.krabbe@×××××.net>
To: Gentoo Developer <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage database management
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 16:08:50
1 On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 10:34:30AM -0500, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > I agree, there needs to be a way to speed up those operations eventually...
3 > if only to index the tree so that seeks/searches are performed faster.
4 >
5 > Problem with berkeleydb (sleepycat) is... things that get coded around
6 > berkeleydb often stay married to berkeleydb forever, for better or for
7 > worse. I had some issues with berkeleydb in the past year with versioning;
8 > more than once it broke things on minor upgrades along the same branch.
9 > YMMV.
10 >
11 > I think it's perhaps better to make this modular. Write db modules, one
12 > for sleepycat, one for pgsql, one for mysql, et al. Leave the indexing
13 > data store up to the admin. The data itself indexed in a B-tree.
14 >
15 > XML is a nice output format for interfacing with other applications, but
16 > that doesn't mean you should store your data in it.
17 >
18 > Cheers,
19 > Dylan Carlson [absinthe@×××××.com]
22 Thanks, this is an answer I longed for. I like berkeley DB for its easy
23 and small C API. Of course there would be not much problem to use a
24 modular approach. I may try a easy prototypish approach with C in the
25 evening or tomorrow. Please inform me (mailto:<i.krabbe@×××××.net>) if
26 you want to have a look upon it.
27
28 BYE INGO