From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About adding a *warning* to remind maintainers to check for new PYTHON_COMPAT values
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:25:15
1 On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:55:30 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 01:04:10PM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 > > Hello
6 > >
7 > > Looking to the list of packages still not supporting python 3.5:
8 > > https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/34-to-35.txt
9 > >
10 > > and considering that we should even start testing python 3.6, I
11 > > think it would be nice if we could make portage to warn when
12 > > PYTHON_COMPAT value is not updated. It's really frustrating to
13 > > still see new ebuilds being added with obsolete values for
14 > > PYTHON_COMPAT and relying on a few people looking to update this.
15 > > This is also causing huge delays to migrate to newer python
16 > > versions and I think it's responsibility of the maintainer to
17 > > ensure his/her package is supported on newer versions or, at least,
18 > > have a bug and ping upstream for the cases they need further fixing.
19 > >
20 > > Of course, this wouldn't be a fatal check preventing you from
21 > > committing a package with outdated PYTHON_COMPAT, it would be a
22 > > warning to remind you to update it as soon as possible.
23 > >
24 > > Any issues on trying to go further into implementing this
25 > > warning?
26 >
27 > What about the situation where a package is not compatible with newer
28 > versions of python so does not need a PYTHON_COMPAT change?
29 >
30 > I don't think you can assume PYTHON_COMPAT is outdated for a package
31 > just because it doesn't have the latest versions of python
32 > listed. The only time you can know for sure that it is outdated is if
33 > it lists a version of python that no longer exists in the tree.
34
35 Maybe we should add some - modifier to PYTHON_COMPAT, just like
36 keywords, indicating it has been tested to *not* work.
37 PYTHON_COMPAT=( python{2_7,3_4,3_5} -python_3_6 )