From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About adding a *warning* to remind maintainers to check for new PYTHON_COMPAT values
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 16:55:39
1 On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 01:04:10PM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > Looking to the list of packages still not supporting python 3.5:
5 > https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/34-to-35.txt
6 >
7 > and considering that we should even start testing python 3.6, I think it would
8 > be nice if we could make portage to warn when PYTHON_COMPAT value is not
9 > updated. It's really frustrating to still see new ebuilds being added with
10 > obsolete values for PYTHON_COMPAT and relying on a few people looking to update
11 > this. This is also causing huge delays to migrate to newer python versions and I
12 > think it's responsibility of the maintainer to ensure his/her package is
13 > supported on newer versions or, at least, have a bug and ping upstream for the
14 > cases they need further fixing.
15 >
16 > Of course, this wouldn't be a fatal check preventing you from committing a
17 > package with outdated PYTHON_COMPAT, it would be a warning to remind you to
18 > update it as soon as possible.
19 >
20 > Any issues on trying to go further into implementing this warning?
21
22 What about the situation where a package is not compatible with newer
23 versions of python so does not need a PYTHON_COMPAT change?
24
25 I don't think you can assume PYTHON_COMPAT is outdated for a package
26 just because it doesn't have the latest versions of python
27 listed. The only time you can know for sure that it is outdated is if it
28 lists a version of python that no longer exists in the tree.
29
30 William