From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] About adding a *warning* to remind maintainers to check for new PYTHON_COMPAT values
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:04:21
1 Hello
2
3 Looking to the list of packages still not supporting python 3.5:
4 https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/34-to-35.txt
5
6 and considering that we should even start testing python 3.6, I think it would
7 be nice if we could make portage to warn when PYTHON_COMPAT value is not
8 updated. It's really frustrating to still see new ebuilds being added with
9 obsolete values for PYTHON_COMPAT and relying on a few people looking to update
10 this. This is also causing huge delays to migrate to newer python versions and I
11 think it's responsibility of the maintainer to ensure his/her package is
12 supported on newer versions or, at least, have a bug and ping upstream for the
13 cases they need further fixing.
14
15 Of course, this wouldn't be a fatal check preventing you from committing a
16 package with outdated PYTHON_COMPAT, it would be a warning to remind you to
17 update it as soon as possible.
18
19 Any issues on trying to go further into implementing this warning?
20
21 Thanks a lot