From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About adding a *warning* to remind maintainers to check for new PYTHON_COMPAT values
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:49:59
1 On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:04 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Looking to the list of packages still not supporting python 3.5:
4 > https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/34-to-35.txt
7 I realize a warning will address most of the issue, but when creating
8 lists like these it can be helpful to stick the maintainer names on
9 it, so that maintainers can just search for their name on the wall of
10 shame. :)
13 > Any issues on trying to go further into implementing this warning?
16 I think warnings in repoman are a great idea. If somebody maintains a
17 package that uses python but isn't seriously into python otherwise
18 they probably won't notice when new versions are available to be
19 tested/etc. The only thing I would suggest is that the warning not be
20 triggered until the python team thinks the new version is ready for
21 testing/etc. I'm not sure if they introduce masked versions into the
22 tree before things settle down or not. If not then this is moot.
25 Rich