From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] fix binary debug support, part elevenity billion 1/2
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:29:46
1 On Saturday 21 January 2006 00:25, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 07:10:02AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > that depends, does your code actually have things like
4 > > #ifdef DEBUG
5 > > <debug stuff>
6 > > #endif
7 >
8 > And likewise your code should NOT have some logic like the following in
9 > it's build system.
10 > if(debug mode)
11 > ignore user cflags and use our own cracked out cflags
12 >
13 > I've seen an upstream configure script where if you tell it you want
14 > debug mode, the only thing it does is force CFLAGS to '-O -march=i386'
15 > and not strip the binaries itself - this of course failed dismally when
16 > you tried to enable debugging on non-x86 platforms.
17
18 Actually kde (and as such most kde apps) does all kinds of awkward stuff in
19 it's configure script too with respect to adding the "--enable-debug" flag.
20 Although it mostly involves making the compiler extremely noisy, and forcing
21 in "-g" flags.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze