From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improving Gentoo User Relations
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:23:11
1 On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 10:07 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:51:58 +0100 "Christopher O'Neill"
3 > <chris.oneill@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > | Ideally, what I'd like is for the various dev teams to compile a
5 > | weekly status report, which could then be compiled into the weekly
6 > | newsletter (which currently seems to be lacking much useful
7 > | information). It would be great if we (the users) could find out
8 > | what's going on behind the scenes of our favourite distribution.
9 >
10 > The problem with this is... Once someone says "we're working on $x",
11 > they're continuously pestered about it by users asking when it will be
12 > ready. Given how few of us are paid to work specific hours on Gentoo
13 > things, it's very easy for provisional release dates to be missed --
14 > and when half of a developer's time is spent responding to questions
15 > about where $x is and why an early test of $x pulled out of a
16 > supposedly "not for end users" repo broke their system and the other
17 > half is spent writing status updates it's pretty much impossible to get
18 > anything out consistently.
19
20 So, from a developer pov Ciaran; if we could come up with some way of
21 keeping up to date with what you guys do (without eating up any of your
22 time or getting in your way) and then keep the masses informed, would
23 that be more attractive? Obviously making sure that information is kept
24 to a not exactly bare minimum, but presented in such a way that it
25 doesn't in any way halt progress or potential change of direction?
26 >
27 > Hence why some of us don't announce non-trivial projects on public
28 > mailing lists, and instead keep any discussion on -core and sekrit IRC
29 > channels. That's how what's now known as eselect was developed, and
30 > it turned out far nicer than the XML-laden aborted gentoo-config
31 > project precisely because of the lack of end user 'input'.
32
33 In more of a informative 'these are the exciting things we're doing'
34 sort of way rather than a 'tell us why you disagree' sort of way maybe.
35
36 > I mean, as a purely hypothetical example... Could you imagine just how
37 > many dumb feature requests, questions and requests for code from the
38 > unwashed masses someone would get if they admitted to having an early
39 > alpha of an alternative to Portage that didn't require Python? Having
40 > to deal with the noise would be more than enough to ensure that no more
41 > development would ever get done...
42
43 Purely hypothetically I suspect you'd be better suited for answering
44 that question than I am.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list