From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:00:43
1 On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 20:01 +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > > I meant the nice little einfo, ewarn, and error stuff that portage spits
3 > > out that we insert into the ebuilds.
4 >
5 > Which are totally covered by all the other output flying by during a
6 > normal emerge.
7
8 emerge -q definitely helps, but setting "quiet" should make emerge
9 *much* more quiet.
10
11 > > While I understand everyone's need to have their hand held every second
12 > > of the day by the whole of Gentoo, it really is not *our* fault when
13 > > *you* do actions that prevent you from reading the messages that we do
14 > > give you.
15 >
16 > Now, please come on. Do you actually expect anyone to stare at
17 > at the compilation output for many hourse, just to catch the
18 > message that might be in the output?
19
20 No, but I expect them to have enough sense to look for messages,
21 especially *knowing* that we give them, at least until a better solution
22 can be incorporated into portage. Whining about it won't bring about
23 change faster and really doesn't help anyone. If you want to help, put
24 your money where your mouth is and start submitting patches. Adding
25 more useless chatter about the same topics over and over and over gets
26 really old and gets us all nowhere.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
31 Games - Developer
32 Gentoo Linux