From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent and messy layout of team maintainership in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 12:15:01
1 On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 07:20 -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 9/17/15 7:05 AM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:57:08 -0400
4 > > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Totally rethink the idea of emails aliases as something that is
7 > > > created on the fly. We just need to know who should get emails for a
8 > > > package when it comes to bug reports. Why can't that be calculated
9 > > > on the fly from the metadata.xml?
10 > > I've not read every last part of this thread but I think I like where
11 > > this is going. I just want to be sure that people besides those in the
12 > > Java herd/project/whatever can continue to receive emails for
13 > > java@g.o. For instance, gnu_andrew is not a dev and does not
14 > > intend to be but he still likes to be CC'd on all Java mail. I would
15 > > not like to have to add his address to the metadata.xml of every Java
16 > > package.
17 > >
18 > Yes. If the metadata.xml contained both and
19 > tags, it would go to all of java@g.o and to gnu_andrew. Already
20 > not all are devs.
21 >
22 > To further address mgorny's objections, that's what bug-wranglers are
23 > doing now. I can see even automating the bug-wrangler step of assigning
24 > bugs. A python script could parse the bug title for a package name,
25 > obtain the metadata.xml, assign the bug to 1) project first, else
26 > maintainer by order, 2) cc the rest. bugzilla would then send out the
27 > emails.
28
29 Your proposal kills at least one project's workflow.
30
31 The gnome team uses gnome@g.o email alias
32 (1) to subscribe the whole project (including people who don't have a
33 gentoo.org email but are working on the overlay) to *upstream* bug
34 trackers such as gnome, freedesktop, and webkit bugzillas;
35 (2) for communication within the team (since it's proven impractical to
36 get everybody on irc at the same time);
37 (3) as a method by which other people can contact the whole project.
38
39 And of course for consistency, it's expected that gentoo bugs assigned
40 to gnome@g.o will get sent to the same list of people.
41
42 So we really do require our email alias with a list of subscribers both
43 within and outside gentoo. Not some dynamically-created thing that's
44 specific to just gentoo bugzilla and needs metadata.xml.