From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent and messy layout of team maintainership in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:20:38
1 On 9/17/15 7:05 AM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:57:08 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Totally rethink the idea of emails aliases as something that is
6 >> created on the fly. We just need to know who should get emails for a
7 >> package when it comes to bug reports. Why can't that be calculated
8 >> on the fly from the metadata.xml?
9 > I've not read every last part of this thread but I think I like where
10 > this is going. I just want to be sure that people besides those in the
11 > Java herd/project/whatever can continue to receive emails for
12 > java@g.o. For instance, gnu_andrew is not a dev and does not
13 > intend to be but he still likes to be CC'd on all Java mail. I would
14 > not like to have to add his address to the metadata.xml of every Java
15 > package.
16 >
17 Yes. If the metadata.xml contained both <project> and <maintainer>
18 tags, it would go to all of java@g.o and to gnu_andrew. Already
19 not all <maintainers> are devs.
20
21 To further address mgorny's objections, that's what bug-wranglers are
22 doing now. I can see even automating the bug-wrangler step of assigning
23 bugs. A python script could parse the bug title for a package name,
24 obtain the metadata.xml, assign the bug to 1) project first, else
25 maintainer by order, 2) cc the rest. bugzilla would then send out the
26 emails.
29 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
30 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
31 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
32 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
33 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA