From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent and messy layout of team maintainership in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:40:59
1 On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 7:20 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 9/17/15 7:05 AM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:57:08 -0400
5 >> "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Totally rethink the idea of emails aliases as something that is
8 >>> created on the fly. We just need to know who should get emails for a
9 >>> package when it comes to bug reports. Why can't that be calculated
10 >>> on the fly from the metadata.xml?
11 >>
12 >> I've not read every last part of this thread but I think I like where
13 >> this is going. I just want to be sure that people besides those in the
14 >> Java herd/project/whatever can continue to receive emails for
15 >> java@g.o. For instance, gnu_andrew is not a dev and does not
16 >> intend to be but he still likes to be CC'd on all Java mail. I would
17 >> not like to have to add his address to the metadata.xml of every Java
18 >> package.
19 >>
20 > Yes. If the metadata.xml contained both <project> and <maintainer> tags,
21 > it would go to all of java@g.o and to gnu_andrew. Already not all
22 > <maintainers> are devs.
25 Can you clarify where you intend to stick gnu_andrew? I think the
26 concern was NOT listing him as a maintainer on every java package, but
27 allowing him to still get mail.
28
29 I think there are a few levels of indirection involved in your proposal.
30
31 Packages have entities who are interested, who can be projects,
32 maintainers, and observers.
33 Projects have members and observers.
34
35 It sounds like your proposal is basically that every package gets an
36 email alias, and every project gets an email alias, and they're all
37 dynamically populated based on both project member/observership and
38 package metadata. A package alias may very well end up including one
39 or more project aliases.
40
41 Example. Bug logged against media-tv/mythtv
42 Bugzilla assigns to and emails to media-tv/mythtv@×.org
43 Email to media-tv/mythtv@×.org goes to mythtv@×.org, which goes to
44 cardoe,rich0@g.o.
45
46 Another bug gets logged against media-plugins/mythplugins
47 Bugzilla assigns to and emails to media-plugins/mythplugins@×.org
48 Email to media-plugins/mythplugins@×.org goes to mythtv@×.org, which
49 goes to cardoe,rich0@g.o.
50
51 Was that what you were getting at? The obvious concern is whether
52 there is an issue with all those dyanically-created/destroyed bugzilla
53 and email accounts.
54
55 If you were hoping to cut out a layer I'm not sure that you'd be able
56 to as easily accommodate cases where both the project and the package
57 both have multiple email addresses listed. However, I guess you could
58 just have bugzilla assign the first project it sees and if not the
59 first member and if not the first observer and then CC everybody else,
60 and then any projects or observers in the list could be email aliases.
61 That is closer to what we're doing today.
64 Rich