From: "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kolab2/Gentoo project
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:18:47
1 On Saturday, 13. October 2007 19:27:05 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 13:11 +0200, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
3 > > The project has advanced far enough though that I feel it is a good
4 > > time point to declare this a real Gentoo project.
5 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/kolab/index.xml
6 > Umm... why? Why does a package need a project? Is this not just a
7 > mail server?
8
9 It's a full-blown collaboration/groupware server and it will likely need a
10 fair bit of coordination between different herds and maintainers as it
11 uses several major F/OSS components which (at least until recently) need
12 patches and integration changes to be usable with Kolab.
13
14 http://kolab.org/about-kolab-server.html
15
16 > I don't mean any offense. I just want to know. Why do we need to
17 > create a project, which should normally be reserved for wide-sweeping
18 > changes or things that require massive amounts of coordination?
19
20 Indeed. Having tried to use Kolab on Gentoo before, I assume it will be
21 the latter that makes a Kolab project reasonable.
22
23 Best regards, Wulf