From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliant KDE install and multi-version support
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 02:29:34
1 On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 02:05 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > I've been thinking on a different method. With this method [3], we
3 > would keep using the <major>.<minor> slots (4.1, 4.2, etc) so we also
4 > wouldn't break the invariancy. We would allow users to select whether
5 > to have an FHS compliant install or not (the way to allow that still
6 > needs to be discussed) and we would set the prefix based on that. In
7 > case the user wants an FHS compliant install, the eclasses would block
8 > all kde packages on other slots - except 3.5 (uses other eclasses) and
9 > the live versions (for the above reason that it will always be
10 > installed under /usr/kde/<live-version>).
11
12 The big problem with that idea is that upgrading from one version to
13 another will be very painful as portage will yell with a million
14 blockers.
15
16 The only proper way to do it is to stop the /usr/kde madness for
17 everyone and just install everything in /usr like everyone else does, if
18 upstream wanted it to be parallel installable, they would have made it
19 that way (like gnome 1.x vs gnome 2.x).
23 Olivier CrĂȘte
24 tester@g.o
25 Gentoo Developer