From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliant KDE install and multi-version support
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 14:15:10
1 Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 02:05 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 >
4 >> I've been thinking on a different method. With this method [3], we
5 >> would keep using the <major>.<minor> slots (4.1, 4.2, etc) so we also
6 >> wouldn't break the invariancy. We would allow users to select whether
7 >> to have an FHS compliant install or not (the way to allow that still
8 >> needs to be discussed) and we would set the prefix based on that. In
9 >> case the user wants an FHS compliant install, the eclasses would block
10 >> all kde packages on other slots - except 3.5 (uses other eclasses) and
11 >> the live versions (for the above reason that it will always be
12 >> installed under /usr/kde/<live-version>).
15 > The big problem with that idea is that upgrading from one version to
16 > another will be very painful as portage will yell with a million
17 > blockers.
18 >
19 > The only proper way to do it is to stop the /usr/kde madness for
20 > everyone and just install everything in /usr like everyone else does, if
21 > upstream wanted it to be parallel installable, they would have made it
22 > that way (like gnome 1.x vs gnome 2.x).
23 >
24 I agree that this blocker idea is a non-starter. Personally I don't see
25 what is wrong with the idea of having ebuilds in an overlay using the
26 4.2 slot when it is time, developers/interested users test the ebuilds
27 there, they can be in their own slot and when the release is made that
28 are moved to slot 4 and put in the tree.
29
30 There is nothing stopping us from having multiple slotted versions in
31 overlays for testing purposes. We can only have one FHS compliant
32 install. This means users do not build up multiple minor versions of KDE
33 over the years, possibly not realising and not removing them.
34
35 It also means third party KDE applications can be installed in /usr (as
36 they always have been) and will simply relink to the latest version of
37 kdelibs after an upgrade, rather than requiring a rebuild if you want
38 them to use the latest kdelibs. I do not think we are removing that many
39 options and I think for most users have one slot for KDE 4 would be most
40 useful, I myself would rather use it that way.
41
42 I am sure it would be possible to multiply slot Gnome minor versions too
43 if the team really wanted to, I don't honestly think it is necessary for
44 most people. For those that need it we can have slotted ebuilds in an
45 overlays that could still coexist with the ebuilds in the tree. To offer
46 ultimate flexibility being able to change the slot would be nice, but
47 honestly I think having some ebuilds in an overlay with a different slot
48 would be fine.
49
50 Another point is that currently everything is still slotted, 4.0, 4.1
51 and scm versions. It is only when 4.2 is released that we will have an
52 actual version that cannot be slotted if we stay with this scheme, which
53 I think we should.
54
55 Thanks,
56