From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how to handle sensitive files when generating binary packages
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:22:05
1 On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:08:33 -0700
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > > That's one use case, yes. Now what are the others?
4 >
5 > Release building... Backups... Testing newer packages...
6
7 Now expand upon those.
8
9 > Oh yeah,and who said we really needed more than one use case?
10
11 If you make your design decisions based upon a single use case, your
12 design will probably suck when people try to use it for anything else.
13 Since people clearly are using binary packages for at least three
14 different things, all of those three things need to be considered.
15
16 > I think providing tools to allow Gentoo to be adopted in the
17 > corporate environment is reason enough to have binary package
18 > support, and I feel that many people will agree with me.
19
20 You miss my point. I'm not saying binaries are useless. I'm saying you
21 should establish all of what they're used for before making changes. A
22 change that improves binary packages for one use case may make them
23 less ideal for others.
26 Ciaran McCreesh