From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how to handle sensitive files when generating binary packages
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:12:09
1 On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 23:35 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:31:32 -0700
3 > Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 22:01 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > The specific underlying question being, what are the use cases for
6 > > > binary packages?
7 > >
8 > > Ever managed a network of multiple Gentoo identical Gentoo machines?
9 >
10 > That's one use case, yes. Now what are the others?
11
12 Release building... Backups... Testing newer packages...
13
14 Oh yeah,and who said we really needed more than one use case? I think
15 providing tools to allow Gentoo to be adopted in the corporate
16 environment is reason enough to have binary package support, and I feel
17 that many people will agree with me.
20 Chris Gianelloni
21 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
22 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
23 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
24 Gentoo Foundation