From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 07:03:19
1 On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 11:53:40 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Still, masking is the wrong way to express such preferences. If you
5 > package.mask sys-devel/gcc then you say that something is wrong with
6 > that package. Which I believe is not what you want to express here.
7
8 I might have a better usecase for adding masks from overlays.
9
10 But its more for the usecase of "there isn't something wrong with that
11 package", but the more frequent usecase of "Portage is stupid and so we
12 have masks to coerce the right behaviour"
13
14 For example, if I had an overlay that's sole purpose was to
15 test/transition experimental versions of Perl, where the presumption
16 was that by installing said overlay, that you wished to upgrade to that
17 version of Perl, it might make sense to employ masks to prevent portage
18 doing dumb things.
19
20 And by "Dumb things", I mean some of the common problems I see where
21 portage tries to solve a blocker by downgrading Perl....
22
23 Its much simpler to just author a blacklist of "Look, these are things
24 that are known to be a mess, don't even consider installing them, with
25 a nice description of why this is nonsense"
26
27 Trying to achieve it by any other means simply tempts the problem to
28 reappear in another form, because everything *other* than package.mask
29 will have portage try to flip the USE flag to try to make it work, and
30 end up with people needing --backtrack=1000 and having it still not
31 work.
32
33 package.mask is at least a "look, we know this is nonsense, don't even
34 explore this line of reasoning" blunt instrument.