From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 10:53:51
1 >>>>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2018, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2
3 > Il 23/03/2018 10:48, Ulrich Mueller ha scritto:
4 >> Conceptually that makes no sense. sys-devel/gcc is the name of an
5 >> upstream package, so what does it even mean to mask it in one
6 >> repository but not in another? If it's the same package, then it
7 >> should behave in the same way, regardless of the repository its
8 >> ebuild it hosted in (or the package being installed, in which case
9 >> it is no longer in an ebuild repository).
10
11 >> If it is a different package however, then it should have a
12 >> different name.
13
14 > Sorry to say it bluntly but this make no sense at all, even changing
15 > a USE flag make the package behave wildly differently.
16
17 Right, So you want USE dependencies, which we have. Nothing stops a
18 package in an overlay from having additional USE flags.
19
20 > Once we agree that an upstream (complex enough) package may have
21 > different incarnations two ebuilds from different maintainers may
22 > please differently the user.
23
24 Still, masking is the wrong way to express such preferences. If you
25 package.mask sys-devel/gcc then you say that something is wrong with
26 that package. Which I believe is not what you want to express here.
27
28 Ulrich