From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new guides
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:15:28
1 Gontran wrote:
2 >
3 > * Achim Gottinger (AGottinger@××××××××.de) wrote:
4 > > > >
5 > > > > Does your 486 cdrom allow boot off the cdrom?
6 > > >
7 > > > Unfortunately, no. But there is another machine around here with a floppy
8 > > > that works, come to think of it. I'll make the floppies there and give it
9 > > > another try on the cyrix.
10 > > >
11 > > I uploaded two disc images to ibiblio
12 > > gentoo-x86-distro/gentoo-1.0_rc4/images.
13 > >
14 > > bootgrub_jerry.img conatins a special linuxrc for jerry, but also it
15 > > contains
16 > > additional grub menues to start the the rescue disc. This image contains
17 > > the same kernel that is
18 > > on the rc4_pre2 iso, so if the iso does not work, this disc whouldn't
19 > > work too.
20 > >
21 > > I can make you a bootdisk image with a newer kernel if you want.
22 > >
23 > > rdisk.gz is the recue disk image.
24 > >
25 > > achim~
28 > Thanks Achim. Turns out I had the same (memory?) problem with the boot floppy
29 > on the cyrix *shrug*, and my 486 is old as ... well it doesn't have a math
30 > co-processor. Frankly, from the specs on the website, gentoo doesn't look
31 > like it's a 486 kind of party... That seems reasonable to me.
32 >
33 You said memeory problem. Hmm, this can be the cause why it did not run
34 on my compaq laptop (32MB).
35 If I remeber correct I used 16MB for the default ramdisk size on
36 rc4_pre2, but that much is not required.
37 I inform you if I got it installed on my compaq machine.
38
39 I run it here on a 486SX/25 system with 16MB ram and two 100MB hds
40 running as a raid device, since nearly a
41 year without a problem. But I had to compile all the packages for that
42 special system , because that time
43 we used i686 as the default HOST.
44
45 > I'm gonna have to go shopping. Looking forward to helping out.
46 >
47 > Rgds,
48 > Gontran
51 > gentoo-dev mailing list