From: Gontran <locuchon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new guides
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:07:13
1 * Achim Gottinger (AGottinger@××××××××.de) wrote:
2 > > >
3 > > > Does your 486 cdrom allow boot off the cdrom?
4 > >
5 > > Unfortunately, no. But there is another machine around here with a floppy
6 > > that works, come to think of it. I'll make the floppies there and give it
7 > > another try on the cyrix.
8 > >
9 > I uploaded two disc images to ibiblio
10 > gentoo-x86-distro/gentoo-1.0_rc4/images.
11 >
12 > bootgrub_jerry.img conatins a special linuxrc for jerry, but also it
13 > contains
14 > additional grub menues to start the the rescue disc. This image contains
15 > the same kernel that is
16 > on the rc4_pre2 iso, so if the iso does not work, this disc whouldn't
17 > work too.
18 >
19 > I can make you a bootdisk image with a newer kernel if you want.
20 >
21 > rdisk.gz is the recue disk image.
22 >
23 > achim~
26 Thanks Achim. Turns out I had the same (memory?) problem with the boot floppy
27 on the cyrix *shrug*, and my 486 is old as ... well it doesn't have a math
28 co-processor. Frankly, from the specs on the website, gentoo doesn't look
29 like it's a 486 kind of party... That seems reasonable to me.
30
31 I'm gonna have to go shopping. Looking forward to helping out.
32
33 Rgds,
34 Gontran