From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-2 - Let's get it started
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:37:43
1 On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 01:42:34AM +0200, Bo ??rsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 11 June 2008 01:03:47 Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > > Things I believe should be trivial to implement:
4 > > > - Custom output names in SRC_URI, also called arrows (bug #177863)
5 > >
6 > > This I'd definitely delay as it probably affects a number of things.
7 >
8 > Such as?
9
10 mirror-dist, aka the GENTOO_MIRROR infrastructure.
13 > > > - Limit values in $USE (bug #176467)
14 > >
15 > > Also requires little actual work, question is only if this should be
16 > > enabled for EAPI=0/1 as well, and how it relates to USE_EXPAND and ARCH.
17
18 eapi2 only imo, further, seems daft to limit $USE namespace while
19 forcing all USE_EXPAND targets in.
20
21 Basically, IUSE should be extended to mark/state what USE_EXPAND
22 namespaces it cares about- for ARCH (and friends), I'd expect they're
23 pushed in regardless of IUSE.
26 > > > - Enable FEATURES=test by default (bug #184812)
27 > >
28 > > Only if >99% of the stable and ~arch tree and all potential "system"
29 > > packages build with it (IOW: no)
30 >
31 > Err.. Maybe this could have been phrased better but then I did expect you
32 > would look at the bug before commenting. The idea is to enable tests by
33 > default in EAPI 2 and beyond and let them stay off by default in EAPI 0 and
34 > 1. This way devs who want to use EAPI 2 will either have to fix their tests
35 > or RESTRICT them. Doing it this way avoids the issue of having to fix the
36 > whole tree all at once. Users can still choose not to go with the default.
37
38 This shouldn't be forced through by PM's, this should be forced
39 through by communal dev agreement; I'd suggest getting that before
40 trying to slide it into an eapi.
41
42 I'd prefer tests on, but I'm not convinced eapi level is the right
43 area- realistically, that seems repo specifics (due to repo quality
44 varying). Either way, discussion is needed- I really doubt devs are
45 going to be happy (let alone users if devs aren't careful) if they
46 suddenly are forced to cleanup upstreams tests now, rather then as
47 time permits.
50 > > > - default_*, allows an ebuild to redefine phases to add more
51 > > > functionality and then call default_$phase. Currently the default
52 > > > phases are lost when redefining the phases.
53 > >
54 > > Should be trivial to implement off-hand (just converting the existing
55 > > defaults to wrappers)
56 >
57 > So that's a candidate for EAPI 2.
58
59 base_* please, rather then default; precedent is already there via
60 base.eclass. Not a hard req however, just a suggestion.
61
62 ~harring