From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <zlin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-2 - Let's get it started
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:42:46
1 On Wednesday 11 June 2008 01:03:47 Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > > I would like the portage devs to comment upon which of the following
3 > > features they think could easily be implemented before portage 2.2
4 > > goes stable. There's still some time since it hasn't left
5 > > package.mask yet, so I'd rather they exclude the features that will
6 > > take too long to implement than anybody else doing that...
7 >
8 > Well, actually I would rather not add any new features between pre8 and
9 > rc1 to not further delay 2.2. And generally I'm also not in favor of
10 > adding new features during the rc phase as it's there to eliminate
11 > remaining bugs and for refinement of existing features, not to add new
12 > unknowns.
13
14 Ok.
15
16 > > Things I believe should be trivial to implement:
17 > > - Custom output names in SRC_URI, also called arrows (bug #177863)
18 >
19 > This I'd definitely delay as it probably affects a number of things.
20
21 Such as?
22
23 > > - Limit values in $USE (bug #176467)
24 >
25 > Also requires little actual work, question is only if this should be
26 > enabled for EAPI=0/1 as well, and how it relates to USE_EXPAND and ARCH.
27 > If it should be done for existing EAPIs as well could be considered as
28 > bugfix.
29 >
30 > > - doins support for symlinks (bug #179932)
31 >
32 > If someone implements it it can be included (do you want an EAPI bump
33 > for that?)
34
35 Listed those here because they block the EAPI tracker bug.
36
37 > > - Enable FEATURES=test by default (bug #184812)
38 >
39 > Only if >99% of the stable and ~arch tree and all potential "system"
40 > packages build with it (IOW: no)
41
42 Err.. Maybe this could have been phrased better but then I did expect you
43 would look at the bug before commenting. The idea is to enable tests by
44 default in EAPI 2 and beyond and let them stay off by default in EAPI 0 and
45 1. This way devs who want to use EAPI 2 will either have to fix their tests
46 or RESTRICT them. Doing it this way avoids the issue of having to fix the
47 whole tree all at once. Users can still choose not to go with the default.
48
49 > > - GLEP 42 - news items
50 >
51 > Already implemented.
52
53 And not really an EAPI issue. Hence I shouldn't have mentioned it here. ;)
54
55 > > - default_*, allows an ebuild to redefine phases to add more
56 > > functionality and then call default_$phase. Currently the default
57 > > phases are lost when redefining the phases.
58 >
59 > Should be trivial to implement off-hand (just converting the existing
60 > defaults to wrappers)
61
62 So that's a candidate for EAPI 2.
63
64 > > - default for src_install (bug #33544)
65 >
66 > Should also not be terribly difficult, though I'd rather wait until
67 > after 2.2 final.
70 Bo Andresen
71 Gentoo KDE Dev