From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-2 - Let's get it started
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:09:15
1 On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:11:32 +0200
2 Bo Ørsted Andresen <zlin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 10 June 2008 18:26:55 Doug Goldstein wrote:
5 > > Let's try to aim to do an EAPI=2 sometime soonish since Portage now
6 > > has USE flag depends in version 2.2 which is looming on the
7 > > horizon. It'd be nice to hit the ground running with supporting
8 > > these. I know it'll be trivial for the Paludis and pkgcore guys to
9 > > make this work since they already support USE flag depends.
10 >
11 > I would like the portage devs to comment upon which of the following
12 > features they think could easily be implemented before portage 2.2
13 > goes stable. There's still some time since it hasn't left
14 > package.mask yet, so I'd rather they exclude the features that will
15 > take too long to implement than anybody else doing that...
16
17 Well, actually I would rather not add any new features between pre8 and
18 rc1 to not further delay 2.2. And generally I'm also not in favor of
19 adding new features during the rc phase as it's there to eliminate
20 remaining bugs and for refinement of existing features, not to add new
21 unknowns.
22
23 > Already implemented:
24 > - Use dependencies, it's not clear to me whether we all agree
25 > entirely upon the syntax yet though (bugs #2272 and #174406)
26 >
27 > Things I believe should be trivial to implement:
28 > - Custom output names in SRC_URI, also called arrows (bug #177863)
29
30 This I'd definitely delay as it probably affects a number of things.
31
32 > - Guarantee trailing slashes (bug #174408)
33
34 Mostly a matter of finding the relevant spots, the actual work to
35 implement it would be trivial. Could be considered as bugfix.
36
37 > - Limit values in $USE (bug #176467)
38
39 Also requires little actual work, question is only if this should be
40 enabled for EAPI=0/1 as well, and how it relates to USE_EXPAND and ARCH.
41 If it should be done for existing EAPIs as well could be considered as
42 bugfix.
43
44 > - doins support for symlinks (bug #179932)
45
46 If someone implements it it can be included (do you want an EAPI bump
47 for that?)
48
49 > - Enable FEATURES=test by default (bug #184812)
50
51 Only if >99% of the stable and ~arch tree and all potential "system"
52 packages build with it (IOW: no)
53
54 > - GLEP 42 - news items
55
56 Already implemented.
57
58 > Bigger features I'm interested in:
59 > - Making do* die on failure by default (without changing their
60 > behaviour for previous eapis). Possibly adding either nonfatal or
61 > try_do* for cases where this isn't desired. (bug #138792)
62 > - More phases
63 > - src_prepare, for applying patches and running autotools etc.
64 > - src_configure, for running configure scripts (bug #197859)
65 > - pkg_pretend (bug #177860 - could also be used to fix bug #75936)
66 > - maint_*, it's not clear to me if this has been fleshed out in
67 > sufficient detail yet (bug #185567)
68
69 Unlikely for 2.2.
70
71 > - default_*, allows an ebuild to redefine phases to add more
72 > functionality and then call default_$phase. Currently the default
73 > phases are lost when redefining the phases.
74
75 Should be trivial to implement off-hand (just converting the existing
76 defaults to wrappers)
77
78 > - default for src_install (bug #33544)
79
80 Should also not be terribly difficult, though I'd rather wait until
81 after 2.2 final.
82
83 > - Ranged dependencies (bug #4315)
84
85 Unlikely for 2.2.
86
87 > Of course I'd like GLEPs 54 and 55 too but since the council still
88 > hasn't made a decision about them I'll leave them out..
89
90 Well, I already said everything about those during the first discussion
91 round and the relevant council meeting.
92
93 Marius
98 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
99 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.