From: Bruno <bonbons67@××××××××.lu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ELF Debug (defult or not?)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:34:03
1 On Saturday 26 November 2005 18:50, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > Good afternoon,
3 >
4 > Would you be willing to give up space in $ROOT/usr/lib/debug for ELF
5 > executables by default in order to aid in better debugging by or do we
6 > want to only emit it when a FEATURE= is defined.
7 For me either way is good as long as it's well documented in the install
8 handbook.
9 A notice for all those upgrading would be fine as well..
10
11 > Having a split debug pretty much obsoletes the need to add nostrip to
12 > your features in order to get debug info.
13
14 > Users wishing to not have debug info can simply add
15 > INSTALL_MASK="/usr/lib/debug ${INSTALL_MASK}" to make.conf or the
16 > environment unless we make it FEATURE based.
17 FEATURE based is probably the best way of doing it...
18
19 What's the advantage of splitting out the debug info to some extra location
20 instead of leaving it in the original binary (maybe smaller foot-print in
21 memory while the debugging info is not used), and what tools are compatible
22 with this external debug info?
23
24 > I'm in favor of it enabled per default but I'd like to know what you
25 > think and why. (advantages of on/off by default etc..)
26 >
27 Having the debug info preserved by default makes it possible for the user to
28 get debug information which may be used for bug-reporting on program crashes,
29 but will probably just fill the disk of basic users who do have no interest
30 in reporting bugs or trying to get more information about the cause of bugs.
33 Bruno
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list