From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: openrc c api (librc) usage
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 06:44:50
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Tue, 15 Dec 2015 00:00:51 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 10 Dec 2015 10:32, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >> I want to start a discussion about the usage of OpenRC's C api as
5 >> defined in rc.h.
6 >
7 > very few projects ever picked up the API/libraries. probably for the
8 > best.
9 >
10 >> I have no idea which projectss out there are using it, or which
11 >> functions they are using.
12 >
13 > look at the RDEPEND in ebuilds. if a package uses the libs, it should
14 > be listed there.
15
16 Even with openrc still in @system? Doesn't look like that bug has been
17 fixed yet.[1]
18
19 > if you don't find any of those (few) packages actually
20 > using the API, then just make the change and wait for someone to
21 > complain.
22
23 With openrc still in @system, that's probably the way it'll need to be
24 handled, tho ideally everything that needs it will be RDEPENDing on it by
25 now in preparation for removing openrc from @system, so nothing will
26 break.
27
28 ---
29 [1] I've had my entire @system negated in /etc/portage/profiles/packages
30 since long before I switched to systemd, and after symlinking
31 /etc/init.d/functions.sh -> /lib/gentoo/functions.sh, I unmerged openrc.
32 So to see if it was in the normal @system I had to manually check if
33 openrc was still starred in a packages file any of the broadly sourced
34 profiles and it is, in base, with the only negations in the prefix and
35 freebsd profiles.
36
37 Obviously nothing I run breaks without any of the other files openrc
38 provided, but that doesn't mean nothing else in the tree does.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman