From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:16:14
1 On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 07:20 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I don't know about general consensus. In my opinion, it's plain spam to
4 > > existing users. (And that would IMO be the xth news item in a row to be
5 > > spam.)
6 >
7 > Can't say I agree here. Some news items have been more useful than
8 > others, but I doubt the typical Gentoo user (who does not subscribe to
9 > -dev) would think that many of the past messages have been spam.
10 >
11 > Right now news is our only mechanism to warn users that something is
12 > about to happen BEFORE it happens. Anytime I talk to somebody who has
13 > left Gentoo the #1 thing I tend to hear is that they were tired of
14 > things just breaking without warning. Even following -dev I've been
15 > surprised by the odd upgrade - I can imagine the typical user would be
16 > even more confused.
17 >
18 > Long-time Gentoo users aren't going to notice in the handbook that the
19 > location of /etc/make.conf has moved - I know that if I'm doing an
20 > install I tend to use the handbook as a checklist but I skim through
21 > it so fast that I doubt I'd notice a big change. They're going to
22 > appreciate a heads-up. The only people who wouldn't consider it news
23 > are those following this list, and judging by the state of this thread
24 > you'll already have read 40 posts on the topic, so the 41st won't be
25 > that big of a deal.
26 >
27 > Rich
30 Apologies for butting in as a user:
31
32 As a user of Gentoo from about 2002 or so, with multiple gentoo systems,
33 this thread is the first I have heard of make.conf moving ... cant
34 imagine I am the only one! and are you about to break our systems
35 unannounced (again) ? - its not spam to give us a heads up, even if its
36 just reassurance.
37
38 Sorry, but I would rather know.
39 BillK