From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:33:11
1 > Using your 'common sense' how does this fit into the
2 > 'clean language' policy? From my point of view if
3 > that package name is allowed then the policy is
4 > unenforcable.
5
6 Your "clean language" policy is totally flawed then. Part of what makes
7 words "offensive" isn't the word itself, but intent. Are you saying if
8 somebody told you to "go fuck yourself" and another said something like
9 "go have sex with yourself" on the channel, you wouldn't kick both of
10 them, since what each said means *exactly* the same thing?
11
12 If I say, "I really like using the brainfuck language, it lets me do
13 <blah> and <foo>," there was nothing I said with any malicious intent.
14 Now if somebody starts spouting out crap like, "haha, I'm going to
15 dev-lang/brainfuck you!" then that is a case where it is obvious they
16 are just being stupid and require moderation.
19 > It's not a knee jerk reaction.
20
21 Sure it is. While you are at it, why don't you start kicking people
22 with l33t speak names, since that happens to offend me (in that utter
23 stupidity offends me). While you are at it, you should also kick any
24 person that says WTF, and LMFAO, since *everyone* knows they just said
25 "what the fuck" and "laugh my fucking ass off" in front of the whole
26 channel. Or, does reducing it to an acronym make it any less offensive
27 in your eyes?
28
29 > I saw this problem
30 > coming way back. I have dealt with it before, and have
31 > no reason to change.
32
33 Do you kick people that talk about bitchx then?
34
35 Steve
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list