From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as a development platform
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:03:07
1 Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > Why do you semply add a "cat-ego/pack-cvs/pack-cvs.ebuild" near
3 > "cat-ego/pack/pack.ebuild" without get bothered with virtual and similar
4 > you can simply unmerge and remerge the brother package.
5 > There are many examples of merging from cvs in portage tree.
6
7 Portage doesn't contain many cvs ebuilds. Writing one might not be that much
8 hassle, but why should I have to? We already have functional ebuilds to build
9 that particular package, and I have some slightly newer source code (e.g. in
10 my homedir) that I want it to build instead.
11
12 If I did write a cvs ebuild, it would check out the sources *again* from CVS,
13 into /usr/portage/distfiles (I guess...). This is redundant and will take
14 quite a bit of time for larger packages. While this not that much of a
15 problem, one of my motives behind this is that I want to improve productivity.
16 Writing an ebuild *again* which checks out the sources *again* doesn't really
17 go in this direction.
18
19 Daniel
20 --